- The Spirit of Spokane Chorus has been providing moving musical experiences for appreciative audiences in the Greater Spokane, WA area since 1989. SOS is a non-profit, auditioned women’s chorus that primarily sings four-part a cappella music in the barbershop harmony style - an exciting and unique American music art form that is sung by over 22,000 Sweet Adelines in 12 countries! While we strive for artistic excellence in close-harmony singing, we welcome singers of all ages with varying musical backgrounds and abilities.
- SOS aspires to be a premier choral group by providing enriching music and singing education for its members. Through weekly vocal instruction at rehearsals and a variety of tools, we help our singers to realize their potential as skilled, confident performers. Many of our members sing in registered quartets as well, with each ensemble delivering a unique performance that highlights the members’ wealth of talent.
- We sing many musical styles - Broadway show tunes, Disney and pop tunes, uplifting contemporary repertoire, inspirational songs, holiday music, patriotic anthems, and much more!
- Our volunteer singers donate many hours of their time to rehearsals, performances, and community outreach, and the chorus donates a portion of the proceeds from every show to a local charity.
- The Spirit of Spokane Chorus is dedicated to maintaining an inclusive environment of learning, harmony, and friendship. SOS is not affiliated with any religious or political ideology and is comprised of singers from many creeds, backgrounds, and affiliations who come together to celebrate the joy of singing. At SOS, lasting friendships thrive and are inclusive of all. We are family.
- Mike Elliott has been the Music Director for Spirit of Spokane Chorus since 1993 and has earned the distinction of Master Director, having led the chorus through many award-winning performances at regional contests and on the international stage. Mike is now retired after 33 years as the Director of Choral Music at Central Valley High School, preceded by 7 years teaching at Eastern Washington University.
The Spirit of Spokane Chorus became an official chapter of Sweet Adelines on January 12, 1989 and won the regional Small Chorus Championship with only 20 members in our very first year of competition. Since that time, the chorus has maintained a commitment to excellence as we have grown in the number of singers and experience. With expert coaching and many years of gifted, charismatic direction by Mike Elliott, the chorus exploded into the winners' circle for the first time on April 4, 1998, with a performance that brought the Spokane Opera House audience to its feet, even before the last note was sung. This entitled us to compete at Sweet Adelines International competition in Atlanta, Georgia in fall 1999, where we placed in the top 20 in the world. In 2000, we repeated the regional win, scoring high enough to be one of the top five mid-sized choruses in the world! This gained the chorus an invitation to the Sweet Adelines International world competition in San Antonio Texas in July 2001 where we placed second.
The women of Spirit of Spokane Chorus have proven that these awards were not a flash in the pan with three more regional championships in 2002, 2004 and 2006. We enjoyed our journey to the International competition in Calgary, Alberta, Canada in October 2007; we opened the performing chorus to Sweet Adelines in our regional area and nearly doubled the number of members on stage.
Our recent placements at competition:
Region 13 2nd Place Chorus - 2019
Region 13 1st Place Division AA Chorus 2019
Region 13 4th Place Chorus - 2018
Region 13 3rd Place Chorus - 2017
Region 13 2nd Place Division AA Chorus - 2017
Rehearsals are Tuesday evenings, 6:30 - 9:00 pm. A simple audition is required for membership. Dues are $40 per month which covers the chorus, regional, and international dues. Occasional fees that arise are related to costuming, regional competition and educational workshop weekends.
The Spirit of Spokane Chorus of Sweet Adelines International is committed to providing our members with the opportunity for musical excellence and personal growth.